Sunday, March 21, 2010

Additional work and painting

I'm at least getting to the point where I have to think about final finish work.  I've got most of the cabinet back in, the bow is completely roughed in and there is only one small piece aft of the cabinets that needs to be put back together.

From this Pic you can see that I have almost everything complete with the framing the cabinet.  





I pulled the whole thing out of the boat and reassembled what I could in the carport.  This was to make sure everything matched up and I could work on the various seams without going through contortions once it was back in the boat. 

Everything was covered in epoxy and screwed back together to be man-handled back into place.  What I had to figure out on the back-end was how to engineer a drain into the fridge.  It will eventually drain to the right of the cabinet via a cap I'll mount flush with the wall.


Here I'm getting ready to apply massive amounts of fiberglass resin to the the edges of the cabinet.  This was dicey since I had to slap it all on there quickly enough to be able to get it on every edge, position the cabinet back into its original spot and the use my putty knife to clean up the spatters.  All this I had to do in a very short window of time, else it will set up before I'm finished.

I found it is best to get the main parts and then come back later with fresh resin later for everything I missed.

Back into place and never going to move again. Notice the floor.  I've got enough resin splatters on there to act as hull reinforcement. 

Thank goodness for paint.









Speaking of paint, this is the prerequisite before picture.  I spent two grueling hours with my disk sander knocking down every rough edge, folded fiberglass seam, an errant bump in every surface I could find. 
Even then, as soon as I started painting, I found more that I missed.  I guess the lesson there is that there is no perfect solution unless you do this for a living.




Here is the 1st coat of primer.  It already looks better.  The storage areas I never cleaned up with the sanders.  It was just not worth the extra effort.  Besides, who's going to look at that besides me?

One planning factor I need to consider is if I'm going to install weep holes to the port of the swing keel.  Those storage areas will get water in them at some point and it has to have a way to get back to the bilge pump. 




The head platform, you'll remember, I first built out of cardboard and then cut into the proper pieces of wood.









Here I've glassed in the wood pieces.  Given the cramped space, I must say this is my least elegant work yet.  I figure I'll have a great time with the sander cleaning this mess up.









Opposite the head platform will be more storage.Since the forward berth has to function as both a privacy compartment while you are doing your business and a sleeping compartment, you have to have room to step and sleep.  As such I will be fabricating a panel that will fit over this area so you can stretch out while sleeping.  When it is not a sleep chamber, the panel is pulled up so you can shuffle step to the Head.  I suppose it can also be used for storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment