Monday, January 18, 2010

Jacking the boat up and trailer issues.


There was a question as to how I'm managing the underside of this galoot.  Beside my reckless disregard for safety, I have managed to figure out how to pick it up without serious threat to myself, dog or children who happen by.


By chance I built a work bench capable to some serious stresses.  The intent was to use it for all manner of abusive work requiring a lot of pounding, sawing and for it to be able to carry a heavy load.  When I realized I needed a mechanism capable of picking up my boat, the table proved to be a perfect tool.


In the first pic you can see how I used my floor jack to first lift the rear of the boat. 


The 2nd you can see how I stabilized the boat.  What you can not see is that the prow is firmly hooked to the trailer.  As I pick it up, the entire boat pivots on the prow cleat.  That is one tough cleat!

Here is a side view of the table with the wood stacks.






For whatever reason this picture insists on being imported sideways.  The styrofoam is prefect for weight ditribution and to avoid gouging the paint.








Here is my crusty keel.  I'm planning on sanding it as best I am able where it sits.  I don't have the tools or readily available pool of foolish friends to help me muscle this thing out of the housing.  Besides, it's not all that rusty.  Just a few minor blemishes....at least that is what I'm telling myself for now.

What I don't get is why the keel is red on one side and green on the other.  I suppose if I turtle it, the other boats will know which way I'm drifting.  Idunno....



Another point of concern.  When the previous owner did its last bottom job, he did his best to get rid of the critters.  Unfortunately, I have lots and lots of these quarter-sized divots in the hull.  I am now challenged with the prospect of sanding the entire area below the waterline, fill in all these pock marks (gelcoat blisters?) and repaint.



Another trailer flaw that is eating at me is the fact that I have rollers vs. a cradle.  My first inclination is to simply remove the rollers at their pivot points and use the remaining hardware to support a cradle.  My issue is that I've no easy way to build a bowed cradle to match the hull contour.....time for my questionable engineering skills to manifest themselves.  Don't quote me on this just yet, but if I take off half the rollers, connect my flexible planks where those rollers used to be, I can gain support along the entire length and still benefit from the end rollers I've left in place.


Maybe this picture will better depict my intent.  Remove the left wheel, attach the board and stiffen the board along its length.  When it is complete, I would expect the board to be several inches thick so that it can freely support the boat's weight.

Wish me luck on that.....I anticipate some problems down the line.

Since I have never launched this thing yet, I'm even wondering it it is too tall to get on and off the trailer without a seriously deep ramp.  THAT I will only find out when I go to launch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment